So I feel like Arena Mode should probably have a pretty wide variety of items, and I feel pretty strongly that at least some of them should just be silly and kind of pointless for the folks who would otherwise be playing Casual Match instead of just focusing entirely on us play2win tryhards. Here are a few ideas that came to mind over the course of a couple of minutes of brainstorming. Maybe some of you folks out there might have some other good and/or awesomely bad ideas?
Useful Item Ideas
- Faster super charge. I mean, obviously.
- Alternate versions of some moves? Things like the now-defunct Divekick Grave
- +1 HP
Neutral/Silly Item Ideas
- Googly eyes as a 2D overlay where the eyes would be (i.e. on the same layer as the HUD), with physics-based animations for the black circles inside
- Big Head Mode
Double-edged Item Ideas
- An item that significantly reduces the timer (like, maybe down to 30 or even 20 OR EVEN 15‽) and reduces the life of the player that used it by enough that they have to get in and land at least a couple of hits, but can pretty easily win by time-out if they manage this (“Panic Time”)
- An item that doubles damage for both players maybe?
- An item that significantly increases the player’s life gauge, but the opponent only has to win a single round and also it doesn’t fill back up?
- An item that doubles both players’ life gauges’ lengths, but sets the game to first-to-2 instead of first-to-4?
- An item that makes each player use the character the other player chose?
- +2 HP, but you start out at “just blocked one special move” status and can only recover to that point instead of recovering to solid yellow on that last hit