Low FPS @ iMac 13,1 @ macOS 10.13.6

Fantasy Strike is making my iMac slow and has very low FPS.

I have been able to use my iMac for Fantasy Strike for over a year now and a few updates ago it was working tremendously well alltough I am using an iMac that was designed in 2012. It’s an iMac 13,1 with an SSD and has only 512 MB RAM on it’s iGPU.
But somehow that changed. I have no clue wat is going on. I have quitted all other applications, I restarted the machine and was only running, Activity Window, Steam and Fantasy Strike. I could barely use my computer and the FPS dropped to as low as 11.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Use an old 2012 or older iMac
  2. Use the latest update from Steam and have nothing else running
  3. Try to use your computer while you are merely ‘having the game open’.

Expected Results:
A decent Frames Per Second of 60

Actual Results:
A framerate Per Second from 11 to 27.
Notes:
The Frame rate gets actually better when you play a game weirdly.
Attachments:
I took a screenshot to show the FPS, I hope it’s attached.

Game Version:
August 2018 Build
System Information:
iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012) 13,1
2,9 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB

There is a bug right now that MENU fps is lower than it should be when you first launch the game. If you play survival, then quit right away, it temporarily fixes that bug. So the only framerate reports that are useful right now are a) during gameplay or b) menus in the case where you did the work around.

The screenshot above probably ONLY shows the fps menu bug, so we really have no idea what framerate you experience the whole rest of the time.

I have just tried playing on my computer.
It’s incredibly laggy. It’s no point in making a screenshot of what the FPS is, because it’s all over the place. I have seen it drop to 14 and then changing to 63. In this state it’s not playable for me.

Yes, when I launch Fantasy Strike it’s even worse, but after a survival session, the challenge of the day and arcade I can firmly say that it is not performing as well as it has. Could it have anything to do with the speed increase?
I would like to be able to play Fantasy Strike at home again. I’d rather not wait for my new computer or the PS4 / Switch version to be able to play it decently again.

I do hope I’m doing something wrong or that this can be fixed.

Edit:
I somehow managed to fix it a bit.
When I do two arcade matches in a row, the FPS becomes better and the game isn’t lagging anymore. The FPS is then around 45 and the game is playable (online). I do not know if my opponent found it laggy though, it could be. When my opponent’s Jaina did her super the game’s FPS dropped to 11!

Furthermore, how do you even take screenshots while playing online? When playing offline I can instill a timer, but online that’s pretty difficult.
The fix also involves closing all programs running on my computer, so it really seems that my computer has trouble running the game as it is.

If you’re on macOS, you can take screenshots of the whole screen with command-shift-3

I have taken a few screenshots. As my OS is in dutch, they are called ‘schermafbeelding’.
I hope it’s helpful. The lag is mostly gone if I only run the programs you see in the screenshots.
Newest first - as you can see at the time they were taken.

Edit: What you don’t see is that the FPS is now and then above 50, but it never stays there or reaches a solid 60. What is even stranger is the FPS between matches while playing Arcade.

You posted 3 screenshots showing that fps is low in menus (non-gameplay screens). Yes, as I said before, there is a major bug with performance outside of gameplay, it will be fixed next patch. During gameplay, there’s no known problem. The speed increase has absolutely no effect on fps because it’s not secretly running more gameplay simulation frames per second. It’s running the same number, it’s just some of them have been cut out of the game.

I’d say just wait until our next update and try again, when the menu performance bug is fixed.

The new update is available, so check your fps again now.

Also, please double check your resolution. The only reason I mention this is that I have a Windows laptop which was set to 1920x1080 resolution, then after this latest update it somehow got set to 3200x1800, which I definitely did not want. It took me a few minutes to realize why my fps was suddenly lower.

That was quick! A new update already!
I have made some screenshots using the new build. Overall the game runs smoother, but the FPS isn’t as stable as it has been. There isn’t that much of a difference if I have other programs running either, but I’ll let the pictures tell the tale:
[edit] I should have uploaded them in the other way. Maybe If I (didn’t work):

As high as 121 and as low as 16 FPS. I do not know what is going on, but the game itself is stable. At least I can play at home now! Should I test online?

I do not know what’s going on, there is no known problem, and I haven’t heard of these kind of complaints from others, so I don’t really know what to suggest…

The one showing 16fps, I wonder if it’s only showing that for a fraction of a second because it’s RIGHT when the gameplay loaded, or if the actual gameplay was 16fps.

I have been playing online this afternoon and I find it acceptable. It runs smooth for me, that is. I’m not sure if it was laggy for my opponent though. It can’t have any to do with my internet connection, BTW.

Did I ever mentioned that I don’t know any other fighting game that has so many perfects? Maybe it’s just me or I haven’t played enough fighting games, I don’t know.