Too many complex combos

I’m sorry but if this is a fighting game for casuals the non-sense in this video shouldn’t exist:

This is a huge turn off for people coming to this game for a simpler fighting game. Learning specific combos and even special case character combos is exactly why a lot of people got turned off to fighting games. I land a hit, you get to land 4+ hits thanks to spending time learning and getting tightly spaced combos. If different fighting game players are to meet up at Fantasy Strike, the guy who knows all the combos is at a huge advantage.

Why are we not just focused on landing several good hits instead of the unintuitve higher damaging stuff experienced players get to lord over people. Not easy to learn/do. If you land a hit or 2, great! Landing 4 or 5 in an unbreakable streams sucks.

If you’re going to tell me “Well that only works in specific situations”, that is not good enough for me or other players looking for ease of execution. It’s the same thing other fighting game apologists say.

I don’t understand why the game engine wasn’t designed with severely limiting combos.

Lots of people can do their hadokens in early “a simpler time game” Street Fighter 2. Landing combos is a whole other story. I would think simplification of game engines would be built so combos were truly minimal and easy to execute.(as opposed to Street Fighter where less experienced players don’t do multi hit combos, while the pros get their 4 or 5 hits in)

Most complex combos are very setup specific and very rarely (if ever) viable in an actual match.

They are not required to do well at the game, just great to get some style points from time to time and nothing more.

4 Likes

This video mostly shows contrived edge case trick shots with no actual value in play. The existence of the royal flush as a poker hand doesn’t make a three-of-a-kind any less effective as a winning hand. The fact that a soccer player can do a backflip kick to a teammate, who then heads the ball into the goal off the edge, doesn’t make it any harder to just kick the ball in like you ordinarily would.

Basically, to prevent these sorts of things from being possible, they’d have to simplify the game to the point where the complaints about it being “dumbed down” would actually be accurate. To the extent that anything in the video is even vaguely valuable, it is only valuable inasmuch as experience and practice always will be.

And in truth, the game really is actually very beginner-friendly!

5 Likes

It’s a bit hard to tell, but about 80% of the combos shown here are unrealistic and would never happen in a match, due to requiring the opponent to actively do nothing, or even assist you with the combo.
A few of them are practical though! Mostly it’s the ones with less hits, the easy ones.

These are almost all sub-optimal combos that you wouldn’t want to bother to learn in a real match. Grave’s j.A > A > B is better to use than any of those Grave combos in 99.99% of circumstances you’d ever be in.

4 Likes

Absolutely agree with the responses

The fact that you CAN do combo’s like this makes the game cool, but all these combos are extremely edge-case, unnecessary and would never be used in a real match.

The BnB combos are super easy to do so no worries

In fact, i would go as far to say that the existence of these edge case combos is what shows that underneath all the jazz, FS is a real fighter with proper FG mechanics

1 Like

Also, I would like to point out that actually most combo videos of most fighting games show combos that are impractical in real matches.

Inexperienced people probably can’t recognise the difference, and that’s ok, but the combos used in tournaments and real matches are usually a lot easier (in comparison) than combos you would find in combo videos.
Combo videos are for showing off, not for practicality. This one is no exception.

3 Likes

I get what you’re coming from, but I’d actually say that 100% of these combos are irrelevant to actually plan for and not spending time specifically practicing them won’t impede your play.

Sometimes funky situations arise due to the interactions between moves, and you’re able to get an extra hit that you didn’t plan for. I find that unlike in traditional fighters, these case-specific situations are actually very intuitive. (If it looks like you can hit someone, you probably can).

The game moves at a pace and the hitstun is long enough that I think once you understand how your moves work, you can come up with these weird situational adaptations “on the fly”, and don’t have to specifically train for them

2 Likes

I just wanted to pop back in here and say that if we’re coming off as piling on you, that’s not the intention! Mostly, something about this game attracts a lot of people who have never actually played it showing up and telling us what the game needs, and the people here who have actually played the game a lot (some of whom have never played any other fighting games!) generally disagree because FS either already has whatever it “needs” or it’s a nonissue for more fundamental reasons.

I’m really sorry if any of all of this came off as some sort of attack! Mostly there are just a lot of people pretty passionate about the game who just disagree about the game having combos that are too long (and, heh, anyone who’s played fighting games can attest that these combos are very short by “long combo” standards ; ). Mostly we would love if you tried the game out! Either through Fig (boy, I hope it works out somehow) or through Patreon.

5 Likes

The relative length of these combos is unimportant as health bars are invariably smaller in Fantasy Strike. If these are inescapable zero to death combos like some of them appear, they are still cause for concern. Whether they are actually a problem, however, is not up to me to judge. I have not sunk the time needed to get to this level of combo mastery so I don’t have any of the details that we can’t see in the video.

Yeah, for actual gameplay, the practical combos are generally very short and simple (“jump in with A, then hit A then B”). These are trick shots that involve deliberate setup, like billiards trick shots.

Trust us all on this one: it’s much more approachable and learnable than this contrived (but entertaining) experimentation with the very limits of potential would suggest!

2 Likes