Who here speaks a language other than English?

hello very yes

1 Like

We officially cannot add joke translations to the game, which means that, much like how Beethoven was only truly free to explore pure musicality once he lost his hearing, the time is now right to discuss how we would change the in-game UI text for a Juicer English translation

2 Likes

CROSS-UP into LEFTY-RIGHTY
COMBO (3 HITS) into LONG-PUNCHIES (WOW 3!)
JUMPABLE into LEAP!!1!
COUNTER into PUNCH-INTERRUPT
YOMI COUNTER into BIG THINKUMS
FIGHT into FISTICUFFS BEGIN
K.O. into OOPSIE-DOODLED
ROUND X into GOOD TIME HAVERY: PARTITION X

edit: FIRST HIT into BELLRINGER!

2nd edit: -1 HEALTH into OUCH’EM!

7 Likes

I cried a little.

“LEFTY-RIGHTY” and “LONG-PUNCHIES (WOW 3!)” are so good!

We could ask them to create it just for the Patreons though, it’s shouldn’t be much work and we could work on it as a community.

2 Likes

I’ll take “sentences that cause Sirlin’s blood pressure to spike” for $1000, Alex. :wink: Be gentle with the developers, guys, they’re American; their healthcare isn’t free.

7 Likes

:laughing:

What would FIRST HIT be?

1 Like

Oooh! I didn’t realize that was called out as well! I’ve updated the list. :slight_smile:

I’m dying laughing here!

Oh! We need one for “-1 HEALTH”! Poor Jaina…

Hmm, would we need something for Rematch or Next Opponent?

1 Like

For Canadian French, most problems were specific to card games (pige/paquet/rebut/brasser instead of pioche/deck/défausse/mélanger) so I suppose all will be ok with a minimum of comprehension/compromise from Thelo and Djister. The only big thing I’m seeing is manoeuvre instead of coup. Bloc/garde is a problem but in Fantasy Strike it’s pretty easy to replace it with the verb bloquer.

Another great catch! I have updated the list again.

The question here is, how would you handle how the game handles combo length vs. damage? Right now it’s

3 HIT COMBO!
2 DAMAGE

I guess that technically — technically — it would actually be possible to do “TRIPLE-PUNCHIES” and so on up through, say, VIGINTUPLE-PUNCHIES, with WOW 3! for the damage below.

3 Likes

You’ve nailed it.

1 Like

So in NON-joke translation news, the following in-game translations are basically done, or at least done enough to be safe to put into the game whenever they get around to it:

• English (duh)
  • French (Canadian French, at least)
  • Japanese (with Steam page! ALTHOUGH that needs to be updated to say “Japanese translation now available” instead of “Japanese translation coming soon”)
  • Italian
  • Norwegian
  • Brazilian Portuguese

Awesome!

There’s also been progress made on potential translations into Turkish, Finnish, German, and Simplified Chinese! (Although partial progress is by no means necessarily a guarantee that it will happen — just that it might)

If you’re interested in helping translate it into any language (Spanish is conspicuously absent from the list!) let me know! I’m not actually on the dev team, but my constant nagging about getting a Japanese translation done has left me as the semi-official localization coordinator ; )

3 Likes

UPDATE:

The latest build of the game has the following languages implemented (even if they aren’t 100% polished yet):
• English
• French
• Japanese
• Brazilian Portuguese
• Norwegian
• Italian

Turkish looks like it’s almost done at this point (the translator just needs to finish the Steam page and then do a double-check of the in-game text), and we also have some progress on Latin American Spanish, Hebrew(!), and we even have someone interested in translating the game into Hungarian(!!)

I understand that I am rapidly developing a reputation for being The Translations Guy or maybe The Languages Guy but honestly I just think it is so cool that the game is being translated into so many languages, and that it looks like the January update will almost certainly contain at least one additional language.

4 Likes