Display Driver Crash

Title:
Display Driver Crash

Summary:
Upon trying to load a new 3d character, that is not the main menu character or Grave or Jaina, my computer’s display driver crashes and upon recovering, the game is crashed on a blank white screen.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Go to local or practice mode
  2. Try to change to any character other than the defaults
  3. Game crash

Expected Results:
Being able to load a character

Actual Results:
GPU crash

Notes:
I’ve changed the settings all the way to lowest, turned off vsync, lowered the resolution substantially, and it’s still happening.
This has only begun happening since I had to start using my old GPU again, having bricked my good one, so it’s obviously a GPU/driver issue.

Attachments:
Output log
https://pastebin.com/jX83QfMT

Game Version:
v0.15956

System Information:
AMD Radeon HD 5870 – Driver: 15.200.1062.1004
16GB RAM
Gigabyte AX370-Gaming 5
AMD Ryzen 5 1600

1 Like

Please help, I can’t play :frowning:

Over a month later, has this bug been looked at?

It’s fairly hard for me to figure out what’s going on there, since I can’t reproduce this problem on the machines I have access to, and the log file doesn’t contain much that would help, hmm.

I don’t personally know of any specific dangerous driver interactions with our game, and the low-level graphics code is essentially Unity’s. At this point I can only guess at generic advice like using a different driver, or messing with NVidia’s control panel for this game, sorry.

I did do more testing, I can load any character on the main menu except Geiger, (so, picking for quick match), but if I go to local play, trying to load any character crashes the game. I tried playing arcade, and I got half-way through a match as Midori vs Setsuki before it gave up and crashed.

I know it’s an old gpu, but it can run almost anything else just on low. I don’t understand why this game in particular would be causing crashes, and only in specific situations.

Try adding either of these as “launch options” for the game (r-click on “Fantasy Strike” in Steam > Properties > General > Set Launch Options):

-force-glcore
or
-force-d3d9

This will try to run the game using OpenGL Core or DirectX 9, rather than the game’s default of DirectX 11, which may work better on your machine.

1 Like

I have the EXACT same problem. Similar graphics card too, an AMD Radeon HD 6800. I can run the game at 60 fps on the highest settings, but still get the crash unfortunately.

I tried the two commands. Adding -force-d3d9 does nothing. Adding -force-glcore actually fixes the problem, but causes horrible frame drops making the game unplayable. Are there any other things we can try to fix it? Thanks in any case for looking into this!

After the new update, does it still have the same problem?

Same deal as Dracore on the testing. d3d9 changed nothing, it still crashed.
Glcore caused the game to run ok (apart from the lighting on Lum being all wrong) until it ate literally all my available ram (around 13GB) and then ran absolutely terribly.

Seem to have the same issue, which is a shame. I think it has something to do with AMD HD cards. Launch options are no help. I really don’t want to refund the game as I love the characters and universe from my time with Yomi. I think it’s definitely related to the graphics card line. In practice if I hover to Geiger or Setsuki it just crashes my display driver.

On further testing, sometimes depending on the main menu character I crash on startup. But it’s mostly on the training menu and very rarely on the arcade menu. I can normally arcade mode as any character fine, but sometimes it’ll crash. In gameplay I’m getting above 60 fps so it’s not like the game is running badly. It also seems to happen in any menu if I highlight characters very quickly.

-force-glcore: as stated it seems to cause some sort of memory leak effect and before then it makes the game run worse.

d3d9: no real difference as far as I can tell.

Yeah this problem never got resolved. I’ve no idea if it’s even reproducable without one of the specific set of gpus it happens to.

I bought a new gpu earlier this year, and the game runs totally fine now.

I can’t get a new gpu for the foreseeable future, do you think it’d be better to just refund for now and buy the game again after an upgrade?

I don’t know, but it certainly looks like the dev team isn’t currently working on this.