Golden Powerups in Boss Rush mode not behaving correctly (Repost with new discoveries)

Title: Boss Rush Bugs

Summary: A few Gold Powerups in Boss Rush aren’t functioning as intended.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Choose Rook’s Infinite Landslide in Boss Rush
  2. Choose Valerie’s CMYK in Boss Rush
  3. Choose Argagarg’s Fish are Friends in Boss Rush
  4. Choose Lum’s Quick Cartwheel in Boss Rush
  5. Choose Setsuki’s Starlight Sparkle in Boss Rush
  6. Choose DeGrey’s Ghostly Force in Boss Rush

Expected Results:

1. Rook’s Infinite Landslide - Given the description of +1 damage, I’d expect for the first hit of Landslide to do 1 damage and the 2nd hit to do 2, totalling 3.
  2. Valerie’s CMYK - For both Yellow and Black (the 3rd and 4th hits of her grounded B special respectively) to be able to perform a double crossup by moving in opposite directions.
  3. Argagarg’s Fish are Friends - For two fish to come out when using Rushing River (Argagarg’s grounded C special)
  4. Lum’s Quick Cartwheel - For this attack to be a true combo from his grounded A, and for there to be a normal recovery animation.
  5. Setsuki’s Starlight Sparkle - For this attack to be blockable by the AI.
  6. DeGrey’s Ghostly Force - For the attack to pop Argagarg’s Bubble (from Arg’s grounded Super), for the combo counter to display the damage correctly, and for there to be an animation when this ability knocks out the opponent to end a round.

Actual Results:

1. The first hit of Landslide is completely removed when you take this powerup. The 2nd hit does 2 damage as expected but the first hit no longer exists. This makes the move do 2 damage, which it did before taking the powerup, making the +1 damage description misleading. Given that this can be seen as more of a nerf to Landslide, I assume this is a programming mistake as opposed to a misleading description.
  2. Going to use an example to explain how Valerie’s CMYK crossup works. In these examples imagine you’re playing Valerie and you’re on the left side of the screen. There are a few different ways you can use her grounded B with this powerup, and only some of them make sense.
    1 - You hit same side with Yellow and same side with Black. This works correctly, no issues.
    2 - You hit same side with Yellow and crossup with Black. This works correctly, no issues.
    3 - You crossup with Yellow and then crossup again with Black. This is the part that is bugged. Yellow brings you to the right side of the screen, but despite you inputting Left to crossup with Black, Valerie keeps flying to the right when she uses Black, whiffing completely.
  3. Argagarg’s Fish are Friends simply does nothing. The 2nd fish does not come out as expected when you use Rushing River’s 2nd input.
  4. Lum’s Quick Cartwheel does not combo from his grounded A normal unless you have “Quick Specials.” Also, when this attack is used when you also have the “Quick Specials” golden powerup, an odd bug occurs. If you do not cancel this attack into something else during it’s landing recovery frames, Lum will roll in place for about a second, sharing an animation with his grounded B special. This animation occurs despite there being no hitbox tied to it, and lasts around a second.
  5. I have never once seen the AI block Setsuki’s Starlight Sparkle attack. I believe, though I’m not 100% sure, I’ve seen it hit while the opponent is walking backwards, suggesting that it should have been blocked.
  6. Ghostly Force has a number of strange properties. It does not pop Argagarg’s grounded Super bubble despite dealing damage, it does not display damage correctly on the combo counter (for example, landing the Ghost then following up with AA reads “3 Hit Combo - 2 Damage” despite the combo dealing 3 damage.) The most noticeable bug however is most likely due to a missing animation: when Ghostly Force is used to end a round with a Ghost grab, the opponent will be frozen in place after being released, hovering slightly in the air.

Notes:
In my last post I theorized that the cause of some of these bugs were caused by certain powerups conflicting, and I have now confirmed that for at least one of the above bugs. Lum WILL NOT experience the rolling bug after Quick Cartwheel without the Quick Specials powerup.

Attachments:

Game Version:
Current Patch at time of writing.

System Information:

PC Specs
Intel Core i7 6700
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB
Windows 10 Home (64-bit)

Also observed on Nintendo Switch.

1 Like

Thanks for the report, I’ll fix the bugs for our next update.

1 Like

Brilliant!

One other small thing I’ve noticed since this post - Midori can be offered “Rigorous Training” (+1 damage to throws and yomi counters), twice. As in, of the three choices you are given, two of them are Rigorous Training. If you pick one, it won’t show up again during that run, though.