Help Understanding Training Mode Numbers

Hey, I’m planning on celebrating the fact that I don’t have any freaking homework to do this weekend by making a couple of beginner’s tutorials to Rook and maybe Midori or some other characters, but before I do that, it would probably help for me to understand exactly what the stats in the top left of the screen mean?

You know, the numbers that are like [ 10 | 15 | 20 | Something | Something ]? …you know?

1 Like

I believe it’s startup_frames | hit_frames | recovery_frames, and then [ hitstun | blockstun].

startup_frames: Number of frames after the move is committed, before it actually can hit the opponent.
hit_frames: Number of frames where the move is actually able to hit the opponent (this can actually have multiple numbers, in which case it indicates a section of inactive frames in the middle between two hits)
recovery_frames: Number of frames during which you can’t do anything after the hit_frames complete.
hitstun: The number of frames the opponent can’t do anything (if they don’t block)
blockstun: The number of frames the opponent can’t do anything (if they did block)

5 Likes

Ah, sweet! Thanks!

@Sirlin: One thing I noticed as I was cataloging the frame data a couple of weeks ago (and I think you, or someone else, mentioned as well) is that the ranged attacks aren’t really captured right. It seems like the same data set works for them, except that for a ranged attack, the recover_frames start before the hit_frames end. Is that something that it would be easy to capture/display? Or am I thinking about that analysis wrong?

The startup shown in the frame stats in training mode for Grave and Jaina’s projectiles is known to be incorrect in the April 2017 Patreon build of the game. It will be fixed in the next one or two build cycles.

Fyi the stats for Geiger’s projectile are right though. So you can look at that to see what it should say.

Oh, good to know.

Also one more cool thing is underneath the lifebar, any time you have a move hit or blocked, it shows the startup and the frame (dis)advantage. Very useful for knowing how to frame trap, or how safe things are at a glance.