Ony one controller detected on Linux build

Title:
Ony one controller detected on Linux build
Summary:
Game does not recognise/allows to configure more than one game controller. Tested on wired and wireless x360 controllers, Tekken 7 x360 wireless arcade stick. Local multiplayer is practically impossible as second controller is not responsive. If player will trigger button config, 2nd controller is visible but not possible to be configured.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Run FF on Linux
  2. Have 2 controllers connected
  3. Try to configure 2nd controller and/or play a local multiplayer game.

Expected Results:
2nd controller should be configurable and responsive

Actual Results:
Only player one’s controller is active, 2nd controller not possible to configure (press 2 buttons to configure or from menu button config).

Notes:
Tested multiple times, with controllers connected before and after game have started.
Other games on the same system and Steam works just fine with multiple controllers.

Attachments:

Game Version:

System Information:
CPU: AMD FX-6100
RAM: 16GB
GFX: GTX 1050ti , 430.34 drivers
Steam: API v019 , package version : 1563346602

2 Likes

Thanks for the report, that does look like a problem.

I would like to have your log file, right after you try and fail to setup a second controller (and before restarting the game), it’s found at:
~/.config/unity3d/Sirlin Games/Fantasy Strike/Player.log

You can send it to me either at thelo@sirlingames.com, or via Discord direct message.

To clarify, what do you mean by “2nd controller is visible but not possible to be configured”? Do you mean that when you hold 2 buttons on the second controller, that does display the controller setup screen (so there is a response), but that button presses on that second controller after that don’t do anything during this controller setup screen?

2 Likes

Log sent to you. As per visibility. I might be wrong. What i meant by it is that when i got to button config i can see configs for first and second player, not now looking at it, this is present regardless of how many controllers are connected.

problems still stands, I’m not able to configure second controller.

Below screenshot of Steam controller detection

2 Likes

Just to be clear, you MUST hold 2 buttons (on main menu for example) to setup each controller on the setup screen, which is DIFFERENT from the button config screen. The setup screen has a picture of a PS4 controller on it (but will work with any controller, not just a PS4 one).

Can you confirm that you are trying to setup up BOTH controllers from the hold 2 buttons setup screen? If yes, what happens exactly for the second controller? Is it that holding 2 buttons on it does not bring up the setup screen? Or it does bring up the setup screen and nothing happens when you try to press each button as instructed? Or that works too, but then afterwards that controller doesn’t work?

Fyi, in a future build, some controllers will be auto-detected so the setup screen will not be necessary for them, and controllers that aren’t auto-detected will always show the setup screen. But for now in the current build, you must still manually set up each controller on that hold 2 buttons screen or all bets are off for everything after, including button config.

Hi, I definitely try to setup a second controller with two buttons. See video below

Also as it shows on the end of the video game quits abruptly due to player one controller got disconnected (lose battery compartment). I was trying to get into button config menu there just to show that i cannot do anything with second controller.

I got a good news and bad one.
Good one is i got it working, two controllers are working fine now.

Bad one is why they started working.
So I have noticed that on fullscreen game is really behaving badly if i move my character while in fight (single or multi) left or right. It looks like buttons are not being registered.

Now I got 29" Super wide 2560x1080p monitor. Game is running 1920x1080p with black bands on the sides (no stretching). When I have forced game to run in window 720p, game suddenly allows me to configure second controller (two button push) and issues with not registering left or right in the game are also gone.

As I submitted earlier log to Thelo, there was lot’s of entries that game tries to run on my native screen resolution

from Player.log while in full screen :

requesting resize 2561 x 1080
Using native desktop resolution 2560 x 1080
requesting fullscreen 2560 x 1080 at 0 Hz
Desktop is 2560 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
requesting resize 2560 x 1080

I think this is the root cause here as game now runs in windowed mode, those entries do not appear in the log. Lastly i had to manually force windowed screen and different resolution as in-game settings just did not wanted me to do so.

I’m happy to provide vids if necessary.

I think my screen resolution should not be so destructive and game should not try to force itself to run in a resolution that it cannot support. Screens like mine can easily handle 1080p and do not distort the picture. I have tested on other games and there is no issues. I cannot test on 1440p or 4k screen but I would suggest that issues might be the same.

1 Like

OK, extra info. This only happens when I run 1080p on fullscreen. Tested other resolutions on fullscreen and this issue does not occur.

As soon i switch to 1080p fulscreen, I’m getting input issues, 2nd controller problem and cannot switch back to any other resolution or screen mode. Only changing it in config file gets it back.

1 Like

Thanks for the extra info, I’ll check this out.

1 Like