Standard Throw Ranges

Ordered from best to worst.
Throws on the same line may or may not be equal, but I was not able to find a definitive difference yet.

Dragon
Rook
Jaina (Back)
Jaina (Forward/Neutral), Grave (Back)
Midori, DeGrey*
Grave (Forward/Neutral)
Valerie
Geiger
Setsuki (Back)
Setsuki (Forward/Neutral)

*DeGrey is somewhere along the lines of Midori and Grave (Forward/Neutral), but not yet sure exactly where.

6 Likes

Very interesting project! I’m testing it out now. I think I have a way of standardizing all of the ranges.

Any difference between Dragon / Human Midori?

I forgot to add Dragon. His range is slightly better than Rook’s.

I tried to standardize the range as much as possible. The method I used was the following:

Rook is always selected as the defending character. Rook walks up to the character until they start pushing against each other. Then, I would have Rook walk away frame by frame until I could find the max range that he would be able to throw the attacking character using neutral throw (no frame gap between walking backwards and neutral throw). Then, I would repeat the procedure by having Rook walk away from the character and see what frame the attacking character would be able to throw Rook. I have found that sometimes the data would vary by a frame (sometimes 2 in the case of Dragon). Maybe it was just me getting tired of counting the frames. Not sure. So, here is the table listing the difference in the amount of frames from Rook being able to throw the attacking character versus the attacking character throwing Rook

v.11310b.Tn.Tf.T
Dragon +4 +4 +4 
Rook   +0 +0 +0 
Jaina  -17-19-19
Grave  -19-22-22
Midori -21-21-21
DeGrey -22-22-22
Valerie-24-24-24
Geiger -25-25-25
Setsuki-28-31-31

3 Likes

Dragon’s idle animation moves his throwbox around which might be why you encountered weirdness with him.

Ah, that could explain some things. I think I encountered up to two frames difference as well sometimes in Setsuki’s back throw. I can’t remember which throw now. They all blend together. So, I guess idle animations/movements can affect the range that a character’s throw will come out.

Dragon’s throw range exemplified:

2 Likes

This is just stupid.

I guess Valerie should be holding back.

Using the same methodology that I posted earlier, this is how Lum’s throw range stacks up with the other characters. Note: I did not re-test the other characters’ throw ranges since they were not mentioned in the update. Maybe when I have time later, I will double-check the numbers.

v.11566b.Tn.Tf.T
Dragon +4 +4 +4 
Rook   +0 +0 +0 
Lum    -9 -9 -9 
Jaina  -17-19-19
Grave  -19-22-22
Midori -21-21-21
DeGrey -22-22-22
Valerie-24-24-24
Geiger -25-25-25
Setsuki-28-31-31

3 Likes

Very interested about Arg being included in this list !

I am planning on retesting the throw ranges with this new update. Since the patch changed the movement speed for everyone, I need to retest all of the numbers due to the methodology I used. I just haven’t had time very recently, but I should get to it this week. However, I don’t think I will be able to test Geiger’s back throw right now due to a bug that only triggers his front throw according to a recently submitted bug report.

1 Like

With the new update, v.12189, there was a 25% walking speed increase across the board. So, I took the time to retest all of the numbers using the same methodology. Obviously, all of the numbers have changed since Rook’s walking speed has increased. However, due to a bug with Geiger’s back throw, I could not test his throw range. Instead, I speculate that it would be the same as the others since it was the same for previous versions. Additionally, the “Base” column is the amount of frames that Rook has to walk backwards from the opponent in order to use his neutral throw from max range. I included it in case anyone wants to double-check any of my numbers as well as make it easier to keep the table updated in the future.

v.12189  b.T n.Tf.TBase
Dragon   +3  +3 +3 41  
Rook     +0  +0 +0 36  
Lum      -6  -6 -6 53  
Jaina    -13 -15-1549  
Grave    -14 -16-1648  
Midori   -15 -15-1564  
Argagarg -15 -15-1550  
DeGrey   -16 -16-1639  
Valerie  -17 -17-1753  
Geiger   -19?-19-1944  
Setsuki  -20 -22-2246  

4 Likes

Okay, so I thought I’d come back and update the throw ranges according to the methodology I used earlier. In summary, I would have Rook walk forward until he started pushing the other character, go immediately into frame step mode, walk backwards counting the number of frames needed such that Rook’s neutral throw would be at max range. So, the base is the number of frames Rook needs to walk backwards. The throws for each of the characters are based on the number of frames that Rook needs to walk less or more in order for that character’s throw to connect.

v.16201 b.T n.Tf.TBase
Dragon  +6 +6 +6 46  
Rook    +0 +0 +0 47  
Lum     -3 -3 -3 45  
Argagarg-6 -6 -6 40  
Jaina   -6 -8 -8 45  
Valerie -7 -7 -7 42  
Midori  -7 -7 -7 58  
Geiger  -9 -9 -9 35  
Grave   -9 -11-1146  
DeGrey  -12-12-1240  
Setsuki -12-14-1435  

Below are the screenshots:

Below are the screenshots of the max range for each character.

Dragon

Rook

Lum

Argagarg

Jaina's Back Throw

Jaina's Other Throws

Valerie

Midori

Geiger

Grave's Back Throw

Grave's Other Throws

DeGrey

Setsuki's Back Throw

Setsuki's Other Throws

1 Like

With the new update introducing Quince and Onimaru, I have updated the standard throw range table using the same methodology in the previous post. I also double-checked all of the numbers in case any of them changed. It seems that I had made a mistake counting the base number of frames that Rook needs to walk backwards from Argagarg. It is 39 instead of 40 as I have written above. This indicates that Argagarg actually has a slightly longer throw range than Jaina. I have attempted to standardize the screenshots of the max throw ranges for each character as best as I could by using the Clock Tower’s boards as a reference. I still use Rook as the base because he is the character that walks backwards the slowest. I tested this by walking backwards the same number of frames for each character and attempting a throw by Rook (effectively using base as the number of frames to walk). Rook took the most frames to walk backwards until a throw whiffed compared to every other character.

v1.18893 b.T n.Tf.TBase
Dragon   +6 +6 +6 46  
Rook     +0 +0 +0 47  
Lum      -3 -3 -3 45  
Onimaru  -4 -6 -6 42  
Argagarg -5 -5 -5 39  
Jaina    -6 -8 -8 45  
Valerie  -7 -7 -7 42  
Midori   -7 -7 -7 58  
Quince   -7 -9 -9 44  
Geiger   -9 -9 -9 35  
Grave    -9 -11-1146  
DeGrey   -12-12-1240  
Setsuki  -12-14-1435  

Below are the screenshots of the max range for each character:

Dragon

Rook

Lum

Onimaru's Back Throw

Onimaru's Other Throws

Argagarg

Jaina's Back Throw

Jaina's Other Throws

Valerie

Midori

Quince's Back Throw

Quince's Other Throws

Geiger

Grave's Back Throw

Grave's Other Throws

DeGrey

Setsuki's Back Throw

Setsuki's Other Throws

Why is Setsuki’s range so garbage…
Honestly, I find it better to hold B as a throw instead of using Setsuki’s regular throw, especially with opponents that have smaller hitboxes. With larger opponents like Lum and Midori, you can probably get away with a regular throw, but it’s never enough for smaller opponents like Geiger and Argagarg, and I usually find myself having to walk up to smaller opponents to actually throw them.

Well she does have the fastest walk speed in the game, so it’s not that difficult to just walk up to them

1 Like

You’re honestly probably right, I’m still pretty nooby with Setsuki so I unless I’m in a corner w/ my opponent I typically forget to walk close enough to them for the throw to hit.